Re: Very nice open source game (AstroMenace)

>>>  After small discussion [1] I can give brief info about current situation
>>>  with licenses for data files:
>>>  * There are ttf fonts under own free licenses which compatible with GPLv3.
>>  There are bundled fonts from "fonts-liberation" and "fonts-freefont-ttf".

Yes, upstream needs in these bundled fonts for a crossplatform reason.

>>  However source of one font file is unclear:
>>
>>          RAW_VFS_DATA/FONT/Ubuntu-B.ttf
>
> I was curious about which font package Ubuntu-B.ttf belongs to and it seems it
> is part of ttf-ubuntu-font-family in Ubuntu.

Yes, all is described here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/openastromenace/code/234/tree/License.txt#l60

> However if i understand bug
> report #603157 [1] correctly, ftp-masters consider the Ubuntu Font License
> to be non-free at the moment. It seems another blocker is that you can't
> build the fonts from source with tools in main.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/603157

Yes, you are right.

> Maybe we can substitute Ubuntu-B.ttf with a free font?

Only if maintainer make necessary patches in the package.

I asked main developer about fonts. He replied that upstream won't support
other fonts in game.

>>>  * Another part of 3D models was licensed from third-party design studio.
>>>    And these files come under proprietary license.
>>>  Now main developer is going to re-licence these proprietary files under
>>>  CC BY-SA and to update main file with description of all copyrights and
>>>  licenses used in program.
>>  The problem is that some files are sourceless, right?

Game developers have these source files but they cannot distribute them.
But they can distribute generated 3D models. And CC BY-SA is the best choice
in this case I think. Users will be able even to modify these files and
to distribute the result.

> This seems to be the difficult part here.

I don't see any problems here. Program with the most part of content is
suitable for contrib. And some data files will come into non-free.

Best wishes,
Boris