Re: Best practices for OpenGL ES

  Hello,

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> in the last team meeting one topic was OpenGL ES and I think the
>> consensus was that we should use it. One of my packages (sludge) will
>> support OpenGL ES 2 with the next release. Now I have to decide whether
>> the next package will be built with ordinary GL, GLES2 or to provide two
>> packages. If we provide both, which one should be the default?
>
> Here is a new development on that front, a cross-platform C library
> that allows one to defer selection of GL API and of window system
> until runtime:
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~chadversary/waffle/

  The exemple code seems quite tedious unfortunately, since all used
symbols must be requested by hand (and must therefore be declared in a
different way, using pointers to functions rather than normal
functions).

  I'm curious: what are the differences between vanillia and ES GL ?
Are they binary-incompatible for the symbols they share ? From other
messages in this thread, they seem to be source-compatible at least to
some level.

  Cheers,

      Vincent