RFS: lierolibre/0.1-1

Package: sponsorship-requests
Severity: wishlist
Thanks

Dear mentors and pgk-gamers,

I am looking for a sponsor for my new package "lierolibre"

* Package name    : lierolibre
  Version         : 0.1-1
  Upstream Author : (Me) Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>
* URL             : https://launchpad.net/lierolibre/
* License         : BSD-2-Clause and WTFPL
                  : (plus BSL, GPL, LGPL, for some odd bits, {GPL not linked in})
  Section         : games

It builds those binary packages:

 lierolibre - old-school earthworm action game
 lierolibre-data - data files for lierolibre

The package is up on mentors:

 http://mentors.debian.net/package/lierolibre
 dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lierolibre/lierolibre_0.1-1.dsc

And the packaging is done in git:

 http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/lierolibre.git;a=summary
 git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-games/lierolibre.git

Lintian:

 P: lierolibre-data: no-upstream-changelog
 P: lierolibre: no-upstream-changelog
  I've included NEWS, which serves as the user-targeted changelog,
  unless you want "git log"
 I: lierolibre-data: extended-description-is-probably-too-short
  No it isn't.

Storytelling:

I have taken up maintenance of this game in the form of a fork, I have
spoken on and off to the upstream maintainer of Liero (OpenLiero) but
he appears to have stopped working on the game, though he requested me
to use a different name to avoid confusion (lierolibre is not
windows-friendly currently, hence it doesn't obsolete Liero).

Liero was itself a remake-clone of the DOS game LIERO, using the
original LIERO files as the source for graphics, sounds, and game
variables (read directly from the binary LIERO.EXE :O ).

The main changes done in lierolibre compared to Liero is:

1. Relicensing and replacement of non-free content:

The original LIERO was released under a non-free "freeware" license,
have spoken to the original developer which has kindly agreed to
relicense all content which was created by him under the WTFPL.
Graphics and game variables are what ends up being used in lierolibre
out of this content.

The sounds in LIERO/Liero, which came from Molez, which itself had
borrowed some of them from proprietary games, have all been replaced
with original sounds (WTFPL) created by "sea" which I came in contact
with via #ligaliero on quakenet.

lierolibre can in addition to reading from LIERO.EXE read and write
game vars to a plaintext file instead, and this is what comes shipped
by default.

The gvl helper "library" (which is used as a static module, and I
believe is best kept so), has seen some purging of a (probably)
non-free fdlibm math library, ancient embedded zlib, and some other
non-free bits.

2. General adaptation to *nix

Added in lierolibre is a simple module to allow for $HOME and system
content separation. For ease of installation there's autotools (though freetype jam
still works for the compilation step).

3. Scripts to handle the game data

Finally, lierolibre also includes a bunch of scripts to handle the
extraction and repacking of sound, graphics and levels for liero. In
order to make modification of these more accessible. It is still quite
limited, for example the graphics uses raw 8bit pixel values, which are
extracted to greyscale xpm files, although the palette used in the game
itself differs, so if one wanted to do serious editing one would need
to keep referencing the liero palette (available in liero.cfg). It is a
resonable compromise for now though, and somewhat nicer than using a
hex editor, as it were.

I would be very happy if someone could review and/or upload this package for me.

Thanks!
--
Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>