Re: Should we have some NMU/commiting guidelines?

2012/3/20 Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>:
> Hello pkg-gamers,

Hi!

> Commit access for all DDs have now been enabled for the pkg-games
> repositories. Based on a brief discussion with Pabs on IRC, we figured
> it would be nice to announce this to the debian-devel list or so, but
> also noted that it's not really clear what things DDs are expected to
> with the acces.

Yup, thanks for taking care of this! :)

> It might be relevant to have a set of team guidelines regarding how we
> want our repositories to be used by non-maintainers of that particular
> package.

I think that's a wise idea, so it is clear both for DDs and members of
the Team what to expect from each other.

> I'm thinking that these guidelines should include both DDs and other
> members of the pkg-games team.
>
> The questions, as I see them, are:
>
> Should DDs and pkg-games members who want to improve packages..
>
> 1. Contact maintainer before committing?

In my opinion, yes, both the maintainer(s) set as uploaders and the
list itself, so that other members of the team are also aware.

> 2. Commit freely, but let maintainer do the upload?
>
> 3. Commit and upload freely (though of course notify maintainer
> appropriately)?

I don't see any problem with DDs commiting and uploading freely as
long as they commit and tag the code properly before the upload, or
they ask someone in the Team to do it for them, so that the code in
the versioning system is up to date with the code in the repositories.

> 4. Also follow a per-repository "override"?
>   - $ echo "Please notify maintainer before committing" > README.source

I agree it might be a good idea, especially for delicate and sensitive
packages. I definitely expect some packages to use this option,
although I don't think the majority of the packages will use it.

> 5. Only commit/upload freely in some cases, RC bugs for example?

I understand that some people might feel a bit restrictive about what
to let DDs outside the Team to modify and upload. I don't have any
problem with either option, but I would probably go for the open one:
if a DD takes their time to fix or improve a package, they're welcome
to commit (except in very delicate packages, as mentioned before)

> Should different policies apply to DDs and pkg-games members?

No, I don't think this might be a good idea.

> Or, one could argue that it will always be a judgement call and
> guidelines won't serve any purpose in most cases.
>
> What do you think?

Greetings,
Miry