Re: RFS: naev

> That makes sense, yes - but where can one find the original source archive?
> Below, you are speaking of some upstream changes since 0.5.0, hence there should
> be some newer version of that upstream archive!?

I've just re-uploaded the latest version of Naev (along with my most
up-to-date packaging) to mentors.d.n:
main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/n/naev/naev_0.5.0-1.dsc

> I'm not sure whether anybody other than upstream can help resolving those
> questions!?

I added a brief explanation on these "issues" to Naev's ITP bug report
a few days ago. [1]

As far as I understand, it's not an issue that blocks Naev from
entering the archives (while binaries/executables need to be able to
be built from source code, I don't think policy mandates that images
must be built/rendered from source...if that's the case, an awful lot
of packages currently in Debian would have to tweak their build
system). I recall that this was a hotly-discussed topic a few weeks
back on debian-devel [2], and I understand why it would certainly be
preferable to build everything from source (not just code, but also
graphics, documentation, etc.), but as mentionned in my ITP bug, I
myself currently do not have the technical knowledge required to set
up such a build system for Naev.

I've talked to upstream about this [3], but understandably this issue
isn't one of their priorities at the moment. You can't really blame
them either...would you rather be hacking on an exciting new piece of
code to add a cool new feature to your game, or take on the boring,
time-consuming task of setting up a build system for stuff other than
the code itself? Especially since several other distros/packagers
don't seem to care much about it either?

Personally, I'd prefer to just upload Naev as it currently stands
right now, and work on setting up a build system for all of Naev's
images afterwards and implement it in a later upload, but I'm not a DD
so the final choice isn't really mine. :)

Kind regards,
- Vincent Cheng

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/609295
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/06/msg00110.html