which Quake engine(s) to package?

Removing In-Reply-To to break the thread.

On Fri, 27 May 2011 at 22:36:44 +0100, David Banks wrote:
> Mmm, I looked into some other engines a bit.
> [The niche it would fill is a deathmatch-focused engine with wide server
> compatibility, which Quakespasm doesn't aim for.  I would probably look
> at Qrack for this next.]

To be honest I mostly care about single-player, but I wouldn't be averse to
having a multiplayer-focused engine available too.

> Darkplaces is definitely worth including due to the significant
> graphical enhancements and large userbase.  #319599 claims that
> darkplaces and nexuiz are essentially the same and that we should rather
> make nexuiz use darkplaces as its engine.

I've done some investigation and it turns out our Nexuiz 2.5.2 package is
identical (modulo $Id$ expansion) to r9274 from DarkPlaces svn. DarkPlaces
has built-in support for running an assortment of mods and complete games,
adjusting its behaviour according to command-line options or argv[0] -
it only runs as Nexuiz because we installed it as /usr/games/nexuiz.

The only special option we apply to DP seems to be setting the default
basedir to /usr/share/games/nexuiz.

> In any case, I can't use the nexuiz package to run
> quake1 at this point, so I would say that is grounds to include
> darkplaces as a separate package.

    ln -s /usr/games/nexuiz ~/bin/darkplaces
    ~/bin/darkplaces -basedir /usr/share/games/quake

seems to do the trick for me.

However, I'd be inclined to spin off darkplaces into its own engine-only,
no-user-serviceable-parts-inside package (like ioquake3 or quakespasm), and
turn nexuiz into a thin shim around that: a script that basically just
runs "exec darkplaces -basedir /usr/share/games/nexuiz", an icon, a menu
entry, and proper dependencies on the data. I've started to work on such
a package.

Are there any reasons why quakespasm should be preferred over darkplaces?
Both appear to be actively maintained right now, although quakespasm
seems to be a younger project (more likely to disappear?) descended from
FitzQuake.

darkplaces has more advanced graphics, but might be less true to the original
Quake? It doesn't support MP3 audio, but does support a bewildering array
of mods and games, including at least one playable GPL game (Nexuiz), and
we basically need it in the archive anyway to support Nexuiz.