Re: Proposed meeting on 27/28/29 May

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 20:02 +1000, Karl Goetz wrote:
> Hi all,
> Since there was no clear indication from the last meeting when the next
> one should take place, I"m going to suggest a meeting for sometime on
> the weekend of the 27/28/29th of May.
>
> I set up a doodle poll incase the weekend works for people:
>
> http://www.doodle.com/err72s4seewnvdhe#table
>
> I realised after I set it up the times are probably not the best, but
> hopefully we can find something that works for everyone. Depending on
> the entries chosen here, i'll update the Games/Meetings page to suggest
> some times (in utc) to suggest for meetings.
>
> I don't know if we have any agenda items left over from the first
> meetings suggested list still (the meeting page only shows what was
> discussed, not what was proposed), so I invite anyone to throw
> suggestions into this thread as they vote for times :)
>
> Because of the short notice I won't be too worried if we have a small
> turn out, if we can just check in with the actions from the last
> few meetings and set a proper time for the next meeting i'll be happy.
>
> Proposed agenda:
> * Check actions from first meeting (and see if help is needed)
> * check actions from second meeting (and see if help is needed)

Thanks for this - I have been unable to attend the first two meetings,
but I'd like to attend this one if possible. (I have two small children
so my attendance during daylight hours would be intermittent.)

I'd like an agenda item about seeking sponsorship. I don't know how many
other newbies will be attending, but it seems to me that there are a lot
of free games out there whose authors/maintainers are not DDs but who
could get them into Debian with a little help. If I had a mentor I could
package up about two dozen roguelikes quite easily, which would make a
nice addition to Debian's games portfolio - but I'm stuck waiting for a
sponsor for the first one.

Also, it would be nice if there was a "preferred packaging policy" for
Debian games, and I'd be happy to collaborate on a tutorial for this. My
packages are built using scripts rather than debhelper or anything else,
and I suspect this is a problem for potential sponsors. It would be good
if new games could be guided towards a consistent packaging system.

Finally, please post idiot-proof instructions for actually joining the
meeting ;-)

Many thanks,

Chris