Re: Game World of Padman

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 at 10:31:22 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> There is no need to package the engine for World of Padman, it will
> run fine with regular ioquake3, together with the ioquake3 patches
> already in Debian to be able to use it as openarena engine too.

This is vaguely on my to-do list, but not particularly high on it. It's good
to hear that WoP's somewhat patched engine isn't necessary!

If I remember correctly, the WoP data is distributable but not DFSG-free,
so we'd have world-of-padman in contrib/games and world-of-padman-data-*
in non-free/games (or if I'm misremembering the license and it's not actually
distributable, we could use game-data-packager).

> # we're a standalone game
> CVARS="+set com_standalone 1"
> CVARS="$CVARS +set fs_basegame wop"
> CVARS="$CVARS +set fs_basepath /usr/share/wop"
> CVARS="$CVARS +set fs_homepath \"$HOME/.wop\""

Thanks, these look like a good basis for a world-of-padman package.

You might want to update Fedora's ioquake3 to a recent svn snapshot: in recent
versions (in particular, before the ones in Debian unstable and experimental,
r1858 and r1933 respectively), most of my patches have been upstreamed.
Sort of. Unfortunately, the variable names and semantics have changed during
the upstreaming process: you'd now use

    +set com_homepath .wop
    +set com_basegame wop
    +set cl_gamename ????    (in OA this is openarena, I forget what it does)

(An upstream release of ioquake3 1.37 would be nice, but I'm not holding
my breath...)