Re: Include 0AD, a new fancy 3D RTS

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Bertrand Marc <beberking@gmail.com> wrote:

> I intend to include a new promising game in Debian : 0AD [1]. I did a lot of
> work for the initial packaging on svn.debian.org [2], [3]. Packages are
> working and are lintian clean.

Thanks for your interest in that!

> The thing is the game needs to compile a few build-deps itself :
> - a specific version of spidermonkey

Since spidermonkey is already in Debian, please encourage 0AD upstream
to get those changes merged into spidermonkey upstream or make 0AD
work with the unpatched spidermonkey. Anything else wouldn't be
appropriate to have in Debian.

> - a library called fcollada

One issue I note is that they embed minigzip:

http://www.collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/Building_third_party_libraries_for_the_COLLADA_DOM

You will need to wait for this to be fixed before packaging fcollada:

http://bugs.debian.org/574798

There are some basic packages for fcollada here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/panda3d/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/f/fcollada/

> But for the other two build-deps, I don't really know what to do.
> Should I try and package them ?

SpiderMonkey is already in Debian (libmozjs-dev), probably without the
0AD patches. fcollada, please contact the person who packaged fcollada
in the above PPA and get them to integrate it into Debian. If they
aren't willing to do that then you can adopt the packages and move
them into Debian.

> (I don't think I am able to package a library from scratch).

Check out libpkg-guide (and its bugs). Also please ask the libraries'
upstreams if they know about and use abi-compliance-checker:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/libpkg-guide
http://packages.debian.org/sid/abi-compliance-checker

> Would the packages be accepted in main with these embeded build-deps  ?

I personally would not upload 0AD in such a state. I strongly
encourage you to package them separately and get upstream to remove
the embedded versions from their tarball.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise