Re: Question regarding large -data packages

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:10 AM, Michael Gilbert
<michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:
>> With the great help of my sponsor, Steffen Moeller, I have recently
>> packaged "Sandbox Game Maker" [1] as a contrib package for the game
>> engine and non-free package as the game data. The game engine has been
>> uploaded and is in sid [2]. We have not uploaded the -data package yet
>> [3] since it is 200 MB and we are concerned about having such a large
>> package in the debian mirrors.
>>
>> We have two options, and would like to know your opinion and
>> experience on what is the best way to handle it:
>>
>> 1) Just upload the large package (similar to alien-arena and
>> alien-arena-data, which is also contrib/non-free).
>
> this is the ideal approach.  the only consequence is that it won't be
> included on the debian cd's if the package is larger than 300 MiB.  it
> will still be included on dvd's, blueray's, and network mirrors.

  Hmmm... I don't quite agree with that: just blindly uploading large
data packages impose a heavier burden on debian's mirrors, which might
in turn lower the number of companies willing to provide mirror
services to Debian.

  I don't object to uploading large packages, but I think in the long
term, the data.debian.org specific repository is the way to go.

  Cheers,

      Vincent