Question regarding large -data packages

Hello,

With the great help of my sponsor, Steffen Moeller, I have recently
packaged "Sandbox Game Maker" [1] as a contrib package for the game
engine and non-free package as the game data. The game engine has been
uploaded and is in sid [2]. We have not uploaded the -data package yet
[3] since it is 200 MB and we are concerned about having such a large
package in the debian mirrors.

We have two options, and would like to know your opinion and
experience on what is the best way to handle it:

1) Just upload the large package (similar to alien-arena and
alien-arena-data, which is also contrib/non-free).

2) Upload a tiny package of just debian/ that will have a pre-inst
script to download the game datafiles for the appropriate version from
upstream's webserver (via ftp, similar to flashplugin-nonfree, I
believe).

I really don't mind either way, I just want to do it the best "debian"
way. We feel that choice 2 would be preferred from a space point of
view for debian, but would appreciate guidance on this topic.

Once I've had some thorough testing of the package by users, I plan on
moving my VCS to git alioth and putting this package as collaborative
maintenance. Because of this plan, I'd like to check with your as to
which is preferred based on the team's collective experience.

Please "reply all". I'm a member of the list, but I do not know if Steffen is.

Thank you.

Regards,
Scott Howard

[1] http://sandboxgamemaker.com/