Re: SVGAlib support

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 13:03:38 +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> wrote:
> On 2010-01-01, Stephen Kitt <steve@sk2.org> wrote:
> > Is there a consensus regarding SVGAlib support in games nowadays? I was
> > considering working on http://bugs.debian.org/98841 but I’m not sure
> > it’s worth the bother...
>
> You shouldn't add support for svgalib these days; it's dead upstream,
> non-portable (limited to x86, limited support for modern graphics adapters)
> and worst of all it requires root privileges to run.
>
> Quite the contrary, we should _drop_ support for svgalib if any games
> still use it.

That’s along the lines of what I was thinking too; although the game in
question (Koules) does support svgalib, the current package doesn’t, and
shipping the svgalib version isn’t trivial (the source would need to be built
twice, once for X11 and once for svgalib). It’s not complex but it doesn’t
seem to be worth the effort nowadays!

I guess I’ll just close the bug with an explanation...

Regards,

Stephen