Re: Patches to fix fullscreen games viewport issues with recent Xorg versions

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 22:32, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
There is a bug in Red Hat's bugzilla and I talked with various xdevs about
this, but it is not trivial to fix for them, or so I've been told.

Also we don't need to fix all games, most use a handful if libs, for
Fedora those 3 patches are all that is needed.

Also note that xf86vidmode is considered sort of deprecated by upstream xorg,
so the chances of getting this fixed there are not too good.

In other words, they are potentially breaking existing unpatched or unpatchable code? In case one wants to play an old, native, closed-source game[1] which may do precisely this, X.org guys will just break it? Why not implement _at least_ those few corner cases? Y'know, the worst possible, but nevertheless most trivial solution -- perhaps activated by an environment variable?

I think I have some games that might not be using SDL for going to fullscreen (in fact, that don't have their window management in any dynamically-linked library). Aren't X one of those pieces of software that are supposed to be continuously backward-compatible?

This may be a wrong place to complain about what is being done, but I don't feel like subscribing on X-related mailing lists, and I would like to make one additional voice heard.

[1] A sacrilege it may be, but a realistic sacrilege :-)

Ivan Vučica