Re: git vs. svn (again)

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:10:44PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> While I love git for development (and have switched every upstream
> project I could to it), I prefer subversion for Debian packaging at
> this time. I also feel keeping SVN makes it easier to join the team
> for people with no initial technical skills.
I share this point of view too. I'm a big fan of Git for software
developement but I think it's not the best option for packaging simple
packages (unlink eglibc):
 - people have to learn how to use branches (debian/upstream/...) whereas
   it's not useful in most of our packages
 - tg is just unintuitive, easy to break and requires a lot of RTFM
 - it's possible to do really bad things with git:
    - e.g: git push origin :master
 - IMO git is the more powerful but also the more complicated DVCS

For me, git is just to avoid if we still want fresh blood to join the team.
Even more in our case, the Games Team is, I think, a great place for those
who want to learn how to package for Debian (lot of different build system,
various kinds of packages, friendly team, interesting license issues :D,
...).

Cheers,

     Gonéri Le Bouder