Re: Disk usage on alioth. What to do?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Bruno Kleinert <fuddl@tauware.de> wrote:
> I noticed this mail from Stephen Gran on pkg-games-devel:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> sg@alioth:~$ sudo du
>> -sh /srv/alioth.debian.org/chroot/home/groups/pkg-games/
>> 23G /srv/alioth.debian.org/chroot/home/groups/pkg-games/
>>
>> Do you really need that much space?  I see multiple versions of some
>> of
>> the tarballs, hopefully at least the older ones can go for those.
>> Although alioth does have a reasonable amount of disk space, it is
>> sadly
>> still finite, and your project is currently using about 8% of it just
>> in
>> your group home.
>
> Did anybody take any action against our disk usage, yet? Or are there
> any suggestion?
>
> My suggestion would be to identify and remove "dead" .orig.tar.gzs which
> are neither used in stable nor testing nor in sid nor in experimental.

  My question is: why do we need to store on alioth the tarballs one
can get with apt-get source ? This is just a waste of resources. Old
unused tarballs should go as well, IMHO. That only leaves work in
progress packages (ie, new packages, or new upstream versions). My
guess is if we only keep the tarballs newer than the latest debian
version, we should easily save 80%.

  What do you think about that ?

  Cheers,

      Vincent