Re: [Supertux-Devel] Licensing of data

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 09:51:51PM +0200, Wolfgang Becker wrote:
> On 2009-09-11 Christoph Egger <debian@christoph-egger.org> wrote:
> > 	Ubuntu has (without any involvment from us as far as I can tell)
> > supertux 0.3.1 and a extra package supertux-stable which is 0.1.3 so
> > the normal user will install 0.3.1 on Ubuntu and I hardly see a way
> > they could change that again.
>
> Looks like a good idea. That way if you really want to you can
> try 0.3 but still play 0.1.

	Having both is not what troubles me here (apart from being
double-work) but rather the 0.3.1 if you don't look carefully if
you're right in saying that it's not really useable and why shouldn't
you.

> > experimental and unstable and b) no way to sync to ubuntu so they will
> > have to do the same work as well.
>
> Why not? Can't you use Ubuntu's packages?

	Well the workflow works the exact other way. Ubuntu automatically
syncs debian. So the only way to get the thing in sync without
continuous work is to have supertux be 0.3.1 and optionally having a
supertux-stable package as ubuntu does.

	Merging ubuntu's supertux-stable package on top of debian's
supertux package (the 0.1.3 ones) would probably cause more work than
it saves.

	Anyway for me there are 2 points to check with you as supertux
developers. First, is it sane to have supertux (0.3.*) -- with and
without supertux-stable (0.1.*) -- and second, what is free and what
is not.

	I guess I can deduce, that you don't think 0.3.* alone is a good
idea yet but a tandem might be. Both 0.3.* and 0.1.* tarballs contain
material, that is not free (sound + music or something else as well?)
but can be cleared from SVN. Is that correct?

> Bye,
> Wolfgang

Regards

	Christoph

--
/"\  ASCII Ribbon : GPG-Key ID: 0x0372275D
\ /    Campaign   : GPG 4096R : 0xD49AE731

http://www.christoph-egger.org/