Re: Debian Games Parties!

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:38:31PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> This will be doable. Which format would the data be useful in?

Anything which is easily parsable by python, such as each package on a
line, followed by a 0 or one depending on a screenshot being available.

> Signum was also slightly concerned about being DDoSed.

As an attack, or as a side effect of being popular?

I think the only part that may become useless is the site itself, not
the rest of alioth.  So I don't think we really need to worry about
attacks (I'm assuming nobody is going to attack us, and if they do, we
can't really protect anyway).

If it's the popularity thing, then our site becoming unreachable is
exactly the problem.  I don't think there's a high risk of that.  How
many people are we expecting?  How often do they refresh their page?  If
they just claim a package and then spend at least 5 minutes generating a
good screenshot, I think we need a huge number of participants to create
problems at alioth.

Then again, all the above is based on wild assumptions, so it could all
be wrong.  In any case it would be helpful to get more details about
what the problem would be. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://a82-93-13-222.adsl.xs4all.nl/e-mail.html