Re: Debian Games Parties!

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Bas Wijnen wrote:

> Good idea!  But might I suggest that the name is confusing?  A "games
> party" sounds like we get together and play games.  Not such a bad idea
> either, but here we want people who actually do some work. ;-)

Possibly...

For the screenshots one there will definitely need to be game playing :)

The name emphasises bringing fun to Debian - which is what the games
team does - and may attract more people as a result.

Suggestions for a better name welcome though.

> - The server side will have a DB, of course.  No access control is
>  attempted, I just assume everyone is of good faith.  (There may be a
>  password which is given out on IRC to reduce spam).

I don't think we need a passwd, we can just disable it once the party is over.

> - Multiple claims on one package are possible.  However, if this
>  happens, the user will be warned.  This is to allow people to take
>  over work of appearantly non-active people without needing to purge
>  their comments.

Good, some timestamps and "Claimed X seconds ago" would help with this.

> - It would probably be nice to combine the page with an IRC bot for
>  notifications.  However, I have no experience with IRC bots at all, so
>  that will not work unless someone will implement it.

Definitely, and maybe for claims too.

> - Most likely I will program the server side as a CGI script in bash,
>  with a plain-text DB.  Client side will be HTML and javascript
>  (Ecma262+DOM), of course.

Hmm, OK. I was thinking something Web2.0 like django/pylons/RoR &
jquery. I don't have the skills to do that though so I'll leave choice
of tech to you.

> Possible package states:
> 0 - needs screenshot
> 1 - has screenshot
> 2 - has approved screenshot
> 3 - has screenshot in the archive
> Initially all packages should be in state 0 or 3.

Not sure if we need 1 vs 2 since I'll just continously approve/reject
stuff? This brings up a good point though, how to sync status with the
screenshots site. I'll talk to Signum about it.

> Names used for claiming should be IRC nicks.  There could be a comment
> field on the package and one on the name.

Agreed.

--
bye,
pabs