Re: OpenAL Soft to become the Default OpenAL Library

On 5/17/08, Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a direct upgrade/replacement to upstream si. Programs using the old
>  library *should* work with the new library without the need to make any
>  changes. As far as I know, the mp3/vorbis loki extensions are taken out,
>  although they were considered deprecated in the old library.
>
>  I've done my own tests.
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/04/msg00189.html

Those tests show that the API is compatible, not the ABI.  To
investigate the ABI, you would have to test the applications _without_
rebuilding them.  The thorough way to figure out if there is ABI
compatibility would be to compare the headers between the two
libraries for ABI-incompatible changes.