Re: [Question for the whole list, please read] Vegastrike 0.5.0 Packages Ready

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 3:00:57 pm Vincent Fourmond wrote:
>   Hello !!
>
> Andres Mejia wrote:
> > You can still login with a password.
>
>   Indeed...
>
>   There is one thing that bothers me, though: I can't get to actually do
> anything with the current vegastrike (and old vegastrike-data): I don't
> get the starbase or anything (just messages saying something is
> missing...).

Are you running through the command line? If so, try 'vegastrike
explore_universe.mission'. You could also try any of the other missions
at '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/mission'.

>   This unfortunately means that dependencies need to be tightened and
> the new vegastrike-data uploaded at the same time... Which brings me
> back to the real question: can we really upload that big ???
>
>   Moreover, I really think we should split the *binary* vegastrike-data
> into vegastrike-data and vegastrike-music, and this for two reasons:
>
>   * first, this would allow people that don't listen to music (like me)
> not to install a good 100MB for nothing
>   * second, and most important, that would get rid of the
> vegastrike-music source package from the archive (and therefore save a
> couple of 100MB). I'm not sure a Replace: is enough.

I've asked if vegastrike can work without the music and without making any
changes for a missing music directory. I'm waiting for a reply. Also, a
Replace is enough for a users machine. They can remove the vegastrike-music
package after installing the new vegastrike-data package. Also, to remove
vegastrike-music from the archive, we could file a bug to ftp.debian.org for
unstable and ask for it's removal from testing at the debian-release mailing
list.

Also about your first suggestion, for this to be as easy as possible for a
user (specifically the gaming audience) it's best to have a package
named 'vegastrike' that installs all the components for the vegastrike game.
With the approach you suggested, we could have 'vegastrike' be a metapackage
that installs 'vegastrike-client', 'vegastrike-data', and 'vegastrike-music'.

>   Well, here is my proposition:
>
>   * you split vegastrike-data into data+music
>   * you tighten up dependencies for data, as newer vegastrike is not
> compatible with older vegastrike-data.
>
>   Then, if within 10 days no one has objected to me uploading such a big
> source package (450MB, which would result in a net increase in the
> archive of 200MB times two), I'll do it.
>
>   Cheers, and thanks for your work on vegastrike !
>
> 	Vincent

Andres