Re: Inc. logo in game data (lure-of-the-temptress)

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Ansgar Burchardt  wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
>  > On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 04:01:28PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
>
> >      2) You may charge a reasonable copying fee for this archive, and
>  >     may distribute it in aggregate as part of a larger & possibly
>  >     commercial software distribution (such as a Linux distribution or
>  >     magazine coverdisk). You must provide proper attribution and ensure
>  >     this license and all associated copyright notices, and
>  >     disclaimers are left intact.
>  >
>  >      3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes
>  >     reselling the game as an individual item.
>

> > Anyway 2 and 3 in not DFSG ok. 2 because "reasonable copying fee" is
>  > not clear enough and 3 since the DFSG #1 ("The license of a Debian
>  > component may not restrict any party from selling...")
>
>  I do not think this section makes the license non-free.  The terms seem
>  similar to the Artistic license which is explicitly listed as a free
>  software license [1].
>
>  This is article 5 of the Artistic license:
>     You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this
>     Package. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this Package.
>     You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However, you may
>     distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
>     commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
>     software distribution provided that you do not advertise this
>     Package as a product of your own. [...]

On the contrary, item no. 3 in the LOTT license says:
> You may not charge a fee for the game itself.

If my English serves me, that not the same as artistic license's:

> You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this
> Package.
> You may not charge a fee for this Package itself.

Artistic license says that you may charge for act of distributing the
package, but not for the package itself.
LOTT license says you may not charge for the package at all, not even
for act of distributing it.

Which means LOTT license restricts reselling, and that distributors of
Debian may not charge for the medium they ship Debian on. And that's
probably the primary reason why it's not considered DFSG free.
- --
Ivan Vučica

- -- Croatia --