Re: Inc. logo in game data (lure-of-the-temptress)

Hi,

Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 04:01:28PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
>      2) You may charge a reasonable copying fee for this archive, and
>     may distribute it in aggregate as part of a larger & possibly
>     commercial software distribution (such as a Linux distribution or
>     magazine coverdisk). You must provide proper attribution and ensure
>     this license and all associated copyright notices, and
>     disclaimers are left intact.
>
>      3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes
>     reselling the game as an individual item.

> Anyway 2 and 3 in not DFSG ok. 2 because "reasonable copying fee" is
> not clear enough and 3 since the DFSG #1 ("The license of a Debian
> component may not restrict any party from selling...")

I do not think this section makes the license non-free.  The terms seem
similar to the Artistic license which is explicitly listed as a free
software license [1].

This is article 5 of the Artistic license:
    You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this
    Package. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this Package.
    You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However, you may
    distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
    commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
    software distribution provided that you do not advertise this
    Package as a product of your own. [...]

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract