Re: Fwd: Extremadura 2008 Debian Work Meetings

On 12/02/2008, Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:15:46AM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> > >* Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> [080208 00:39]:

I would be interested, but the timing is quite bad for me. DebConf and
my wedding (early in September).

> > > Yes, I would.  Anything on the agenda for such a meeting?

I always saw this as a problem for us, as a team. I agree, the DebConf
7 meeting was productive, but I find it hard to find other points
than:
- motivate without burnout - I am experiencing this now, unfortunately
- "git as an alternative to svn" or "git as a svn client"

> >  Me would be pretty interested, too.
>
> I would be interested as well.
>
> > About agenda, I can see at least two points that might be interesting
> > to get discussed: the more important, bringing up some
> > games.debian.net website with overview informations and clicking
> > through with content of the thumbnails package, meta informations and
> > similar, for a start.

That was my plan for the server I was supposed to receive from the
Lufthansa sponsorship[1], but still I am waiting for an answer.

> > The other thing would be a discussion upon what git really could gain
> > us with all its drawbacks and advantages so it doesn't boil down to
> > only "why do we need to post more of it to this list" without any
> > proper addressing of the advantages /for us/.

I agree with this. But remember, adopting git can be done in two ways:
- either drop svn in favour of git
- use git with svn via git-svn, which is more unintrusive

I think that we should also look at git-svn and maybe try to make
git-buildpackage work without a debian directory (I see Andres was
interested in this):

This is if we decide to keep svn as a central repo.

We could allow people that want git (the more I work with it, the more
I want it, too) to do just that and maybe design a way to interact
with it with some submodule structure (which should be flexible enough
to allow tracking just subset of games).

There should also be a presentation on how/if it would change the status quo.

> I'm not sure how long this would take, and if it makes sense to really
> put it on the agenda.  I think we sort of agree that it is a good idea
> to try it out with a package.  How about a demonstration, so someone
> prepares to use git with a package, and will insert it before an
> audience, so we can see how things work, and if it has benefits for us?

This is a good idea to discuss. I must admit that I wasn't keen on
trying git on the DGT repo, but now that I worked with it I understand
better Joey's position[2] about full source import in git and patches.

I also understood the motivation behind pristine-tar[3] after seeing
how efficient git's storage is.

> >  Bad agenda. I propose instead "how to get barry motivated so we don't
> > lose him".
>
> I like that better as well. :-)  Seriously, I think it would be good to
> talk about how to get/keep people motivated.  We can use Barry as the
> main example during that talk. ;-)

We should preemptively stop him to avoid burning him out.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2007/01/msg00041.html
[2] http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/on_storing_Debian_packages_in_subversion/
[3] http://packages.debian.org/pristine-tar
EddyP