Re: Rv: What license for our packaging?

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 01:42, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> I prefer we use the same license as upstream, except for non-free
> packages, where BSD/MIT would be appropriate.

Agreed. But what if upstream changes the licence? I don't know if a
'any/whatever licence foo was under at the time of packaging it' holds
water. Also, this might create problems when a package is merged, for
whatever reason, from different upstreams.

In this case, the ISC licence is probably best suited or, and this is
indeed the most free of all (in this specific context. Let's not go
through the different meanings, here) licences, Public Domain.

I doubt if a Debian-wide consensus can be reached, but that would
probably be the best solution.

So, long story short, my thoughts boil down to dual-licencing under
upstream's licence (relative, not absolute, if possible) and under the
ISC.

Richard