Re: bsdgames: alternative to non-free rogue

"Joseph S. Myers" <jsm@polyomino.org.uk> writes:

> There are lots of different versions of rogue at that site and elsewhere,
> some derived from others and some reimplementations.  I don't know how big
> the gameplay differences are in general, but when dealing with games it's
> not necessarily the case that one version obsoletes another if there are
> gameplay differences, even if the two are successive versions of the same
> source code base.

Indeed, none of the versions on that site is nearly as equivalent as
I'd hoped. :-/

> It's highly likely that the version in bsdgames-non-free was actually
> intended to be free, and when the Regents of the University of California
> licensed it under the BSD license they simply forgot to remove an older
> license notice that had been inserted by its author before assigning it.

Yes, I expect so.  Nevertheless, those of us who are fastidious about
licensing terms (as Debian developers must be) have to err on the side
of conservatism, and appreciate your splitting of the games into two
tarballs according to their licenses.

Thanks!

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu