Re: RV: Request: building all packages from source

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 01:59:07AM -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 8:37:28 am Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > I'm forwarding this from the Alioth's mailing list.

Thanks.  I sent it there because I thought it would be more appropriate
there, but perhaps I was wrong about that.

> > Just for the record, I share the same point of view as Bas regarding
> > bulding everything from sources, but I already know that some other members
> > of the Games Team won't like the packages to regenerate autotools stuff (We
> > already had that discussion in IRC once).
> >
> > It would be nice to read the pros and cons people see. I'm especially
> > interested in Sam's and Goneri's point of view, as it was quite different
> > from mine.

Ping!  Would Sam, Goneri, or anyone else with an opinion please tell me
if they object to (or support) me adding realclean targets to all games
in the repository?

And thoughts about calling them as normal clean targets would be welcome
as well.  In particular, why should a package ever use generated files
during build?

If there'll be no replies within 2 weeks, I'll go ahead and add
realclean targets (and targets to recover from it).  I shall not
actually call them unless there is explicit support.  This means that
even if I mess up, no package will stop building if those changes are
uploaded.

> Feel free to test with funguloids. It uses and regenerates the
> autotools stuff during build.

Thanks.  I'll have a look what I can do with it.  However, what I'm
looking for is trying to transition packages to using autotools during
build, so packages which already do that are slightly less interesting
for the purpose.

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html