Re: Inc. logo in game data (lure-of-the-temptress)

On 5/5/08, Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2008 10:16:41 am Ivan Vucica wrote:
>  > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Ansgar Burchardt  wrote:
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > >  I do not think this section makes the license non-free.  The terms seem
>  > >  similar to the Artistic license which is explicitly listed as a free
>  > >  software license [1].
>  > >
>  > >  This is article 5 of the Artistic license:
>  > >     You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this
>  > >     Package. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
>  > > Package. You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However, you
>  > > may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
>  > >     commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
>  > >     software distribution provided that you do not advertise this
>  > >     Package as a product of your own. [...]
>  >
>  > On the contrary, item no. 3 in the LOTT license says:
>  > > You may not charge a fee for the game itself.
>  >
>  > If my English serves me, that not the same as artistic license's:
>  > > You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this
>  > > Package.
>  > > ....
>  > > You may not charge a fee for this Package itself.
>  >
>  > Artistic license says that you may charge for act of distributing the
>  > package, but not for the package itself.
>  > LOTT license says you may not charge for the package at all, not even
>  > for act of distributing it.
>

> This still is similar to the Artistic license's wording.
>
> "You may not charge a fee for this Package itself."

Yes, I missed the point number 2 of the LOTT license which permits
charging for distribution. It does appear that LOTT license bears
great similarities to artistic license.

> This seems ok to me. Probably best to ask at debian-legal.

Indeed. Did anything interesting happen there?

Also, what is the conclusion regarding the logos? Is the final
conclusion that they should be removed?

--
Ivan Vučica

-- Croatia --