Re: RFS: Adopted Package: pathogen

Hi Barry,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:06:17PM -0400, Barry deFreese wrote:
> I went ahead and adopted pathogen and stuck it on mentors if anyone has
> time to review and/or upload:

I'm looking at it now.  Vim gives me reverse video (suggesting error) on
this:
Vcs-Svn: ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/pathogen/

I think it does this because users cannot check this out, since they
don't have ssh access.  It should instead be pointing to the public
repository.  (This link is meant for users who want the latest
packaging, not for the package maintainers.)

And of course I have something to complain about the copyright file
again.  I hope you don't mind. ;-)

It mentions (C) twice.  Instead, you can use the unicode character ©, or
the word "Copyright".  I'd personally do the latter, but legally they
are equivalent.  (C) is legally meaningless.

In one case the word Copyright is already there, in the other case you
should add it.

Currently the Debian packaging is licensed under "any version of the GPL
ever published by the Free Software Foundation", because no version is
specified.  If this is intentional (GPL-1+), it is better to be explicit
about it.  Personally, I would assume that the previous maintainer was
lax and meant it to be the same license as the program: GPL-2+.
Luckily, we can change it into that without even asking him (it is of
course nice to ask anyway, but we don't have to wait for an answer).

Also, you should add yourself as a copyright holder for a part of the
packaging.

Finally, I suggest you turn this into a machine-parsable copyright file.
It almost is already, you just need some Files: and License: fields.

The menu and desktop files say Games/Strategy...  That doesn't seem
appropriate...?

In debian/rules, the configure[-stamp] targets seem quite useless.  I'm
very much in favour of regenerating configure, but this program uses a
simple Makefile, so there is no configure.  I'd suggest you remove the
target and let build-stamp depend on patch directly.

You don't need debian/dirs, since the install target creates the
directories.

Thanks,
Bas

Ps: I didn't hear anything about xlife again; did I miss a message from
you?  Except for making the copyright file as good as possible (without
a reply from the people in there), it's ready to upload AFAIK.

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html