Re: Easiest way to Debianise a package?

Hi everyone,

I just want to say I'm glad that so many people have responded. I've
read all the text, and you have indeed helped me in the right
direction for further research. I don't have the time to further
research at this point, so I'm mostly acknowledging your messages.

I'd like to especially thank Siegfried-Angel for taking a very close
look at YATC packaging, that means much to me since I intended to
submit it to Debian. Of course, only in case project ever gets into
state where it doesn't depend so much upon proprietary  data and that
it's playable. However some things in life are blocking me from
furthering the project in that direction, but oh well. I'm glad
someone with experience with Debian packaging and with Debian policies
(latter being even more important than the first, in my opinion) has
taken time to review the packaging in detail even though we didn't
submit for uploading and sponsorship :) Thanks again, Siegfried!

Also in response to Craig Small's message, I'd just like to write that
your response is helpful, but I tried to structure my questions around
my primary concern -- proper packaging of data files.

So, I'll add a question:
Does the original .tar.gz, produced by make dist, have to contain the
data files? Or can I just copy them into "destination directory"
afterwards so they get included into the .diff only (probably a bad
idea)?

And another one:
YATC's .deb building process, as stated above, was pretty much
automatized as outlined in README.Debian in SVN. (Didn't know what
Debian-specific things to write there, so I wrote how to build .deb
files; if it were a production ready package, I'd probably have
smarter things to put there, but oh well.)
What I basically do is this:
* make dist
* rm -rf debtmp
* mkdir debtmp
* cp yatc-0.2.tar.gz debtmp # some folder renaming here to produce
yatc-0.2.20080412 -- that is, date based stuff appended for revision
tracking
* tar xvvfz yatc-0.2.tar.gz # thought about it and it's a bad idea
since tar.gz does not contain folder renamed that way
* cd yatc-0.2
* ./autogen.sh
* ./configure [prefix options]
* dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

As you can see I clean up the destination directory, debtmp, every
time. Is that a good thing to do? Should I keep it, including the
- -orig.tar.gz, to make it just keep a diff between one "original" SVN
revision? (That is -- if I update the source from upstream, should I
keep the build directory so that it produces the diff from an older
tarball?)
Or should I keep it only when changing between Debian revisions?
(Meaning e.g. 0.2.20080412-1 => 0.2.20080412-2?)
Should I keep it at all or is it safe to do a "full rebuild" every
time? (It's probably frowned upon, but is it ok?)

- --
Ivan Vučica

- -- Croatia --