Re: Some of your Debian packages might need attention

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:24:18AM +0200, Ivan Vucica wrote:
> Wow. Kilgard is really a 'nice' person. I guess he's not aware that
> RMS does not consider Debian to be FSF-free and that Debian and FSF
> diverge on numerous points.

I don't think he really cares. ;-)  From his response, it seems he is
blown away by the fact that we label an issue with a license a "bug".
Or perhaps that we actually care about a license at all, instead of just
violating it like the rest of the world, who knows...

In any case, I think he regards RMS as the absolute extreme in zealotry,
and he is annoyed that we have some of it as well.  He doesn't seem to
claim that we're as bad as RMS, but we're certainly too far in the
direction for him. :-)

> Yet he repeatedly mentions stallmanesque GNU zealotry. It's sad that
> such a great contributor to GL community did not take time to
> familiarize himself with Debian and DFSG.

"stalmanesque" doesn't mean we agree, or are the same, just that we're
close enough to be bad from his point of view.  (I suppose it's needless
to say that I don't agree that caring about freedom and not violating
the law is a waste of time.)

> Or with etiquette.

Indeed, he could use some lessons in that. :-)

> Hope you'll work something out.

Looking at his e-mail, it might be possible to get another "yes, I agree
with that" in a broader sense (for example, on everything on which he
holds copyright, or on everything which he released with source).  It
could be a good idea to not mention the words "bug" or "Debian", though.
:-)

I suppose there's not a lot to lose: Worst case, he refuses to answer
any more questions, and we can't use the code.  That is practically the
same as not being able to use the code and being careful not to ask him
anything.

So I would suggest that someone who is careful with words will privately
try to get a broad statement from him that we can use his code under a
DFSG-free license.  I'm a bit busy myself at the moment, and I'm not
familiar with the exact question in this case, so I'm not volunteering
myself.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html