Re: About a couple of licenses in Japanese

"Ian Lewis" <ianmlewis@gmail.com> writes:

> 08/01/07 に Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> さんは書きました:
> > 2008/1/7, Ian Lewis <ianmlewis@gmail.com>:
> > > ここの素材は著作権フリーですので、商用でも何でも自由に使って頂い
> > > て構いません。但し、商用の素材集に入れる時は事前にご連絡下さい。
> >
> > That's quite interesting. If there's a requirement that you have to
> > contact the author before using it commercially I guess that would
> > sadly make it non-free.
> A literal translation would be "Since this work is copyright free I
> do not mind if you use it freely, commercially or non-commercially.
> However, If you include it in a commercial work, please contact me
> before hand.".

The "please do X" in English has a different weight to the 「下さい」
in Japanese. The latter is used just as we would use "please", but it
is also very often used in *official* requests, where in English we
would say "do this" or "it is required that". In such usages, it's a
"please" of the "please step out of the car, sir" variety.

> Interpret that however you will. It is not a legal document.

Regardless, it's a direct expression of the copyright holder's intent
and wishes for the work. Understanding the legal force of that 「下さい」
seems critical to interpreting the freedom of the work under that

 \                           "Time wounds all heels."  -- Groucho Marx |
Ben Finney