Re: FoF package for Debian

2007/3/27, Sami Kyöstilä <skyostil@kempele.fi> wrote:
We finally got in touch with the Teosto lawyer, and he informed us that
unfortunately the game's music can't be distributed with a CC license.
The problem is while the songs can freely be distributed with the game,
they can't be distributed or otherwise used independently of the game
without a specific license from Teosto. I wonder if we could draft a
license that would fulfill this condition?

Sami and friends, thank you for your persistence in these legal matter
and in contacting Teosto.  I emailed debian-legal.  See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/03/msg00132.html to see the
thread I started though I have not read through the thread yet.

All, do you agree it would be a good idea to upload:

* a fretsonfire package,
* and another package with two or three Debian-Free songs packaged for
fretsonfire

into unstable for now?  Frets on Fire is a popular game (the current
Windows FOF installer has been downloaded more than 230,000 times[1])
and it'd be good to get it into Debian even before this issue is
resolved.  :-)

If so, which songs?  I suggest we pick any few Free songs (some of the
ones at http://keyboardsonfire.net/?songs surely are Free, I can ask
the webmaster if you want) that aren't too difficult to for newbies to
succeed at.

Cheers,
Jason

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?group_id=182199&ugn=fretsonfire&type=prdownload&mode=alltime&package_id=211274&release_id=466327&file_id=1074215