Re: START_FULLSCREEN

On 2007-01-03, Jon Dowland <lists@alcopop.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 07:49:01PM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
>> Some time ago, someone proposed to set up some standard
>> about whether games should start windowed or full-screen.
>> The usage of an environment variable was suggested for
>> that. Anyway, nothing was moved again, so I felt it was
>> time to take the topic out again.
>>
>> Maybe we could use a START_FULLSCREEN=1/0 or some variable
>> like that that the games could read at the start in an
>> standard and common way, and act accordingly if possible.
>> What do you thing?
>
> I'd like to see the discussion kick up again too :) I think
> the next step is to work out if any upstream games are
> already doing this, and what method they use.

I'd like to see the same for use of OpenGL for 2D. Many new games do
2D ops with OpenGL nowadays because modern 3D cards have been optimized
for that. Unfortunately this makes things extremely slow for those among
us how don't run non-free drivers. It would be nice to have a system-wide
setting for games which support both.

Cheers,
        Moritz