Re: START_FULLSCREEN

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:55, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 07:49:01PM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > Some time ago, someone proposed to set up some standard
> > about whether games should start windowed or full-screen.
> > The usage of an environment variable was suggested for
> > that. Anyway, nothing was moved again, so I felt it was
> > time to take the topic out again.
> >
> > Maybe we could use a START_FULLSCREEN=1/0 or some variable
> > like that that the games could read at the start in an
> > standard and common way, and act accordingly if possible.
> > What do you thing?
>
> I'd like to see the discussion kick up again too :) I think
> the next step is to work out if any upstream games are
> already doing this, and what method they use.

Spring [1] uses a Fullscreen=0/1 variable in ~/.springrc, and it has a
commandline option (-f / --fullscreen and -w / --window) that overrides this
config file. It would be easy to add an environment variable to this.

As an upstream author, I think it would be trivial to patch this in the
common cases SDL and SDL+OpenGL.

cheers
Tobi Vollebregt

[1] http://taspring.clan-sy.com/