Re: XS-DM-Upload-Allowed

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:15:04 +0200
Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 01:58:44AM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > I'm not happy about removing the tag, especially without having any
> > notification about it,
>
> I also tried to not sound angry, but I was in a similar mood with regard
> to having it added without being asked or even told, and even without it
> being in the changelog.  It looked like a "power grab" (similar to, but
> much less severe than, when a backdoor would have been added to the
> program).  I was in fact considering to suggest using the DM method to
> Jens, but didn't do so for the moment because of this.
>
> The reason I uploaded the package anyway (and didn't wait for this
> discussion) was that it fixed an RC bug.  I considered this issue
> something that needed talking about, but not important enough to delay
> the fix.  After all, adding the tag later is very easy.

  I fail to follow your reasoning here, if you don't like the packaging you
should say so, as you're not the maintainer, just a sponsor, and not change
it to fit your likings without consent. Not fixing the RC bug on time is
responsibility of the maintainer for not providing a good packaging, not
yours.

  "power grab", backdoor... is good to be a security paranoid but not to the
point of not talking before acting. I'm pretty sure if you had expressed
your fears before uploading you would have been granted the permission to
remove the flag and nobody's feelings would have been hurt. Reverting that
is not as easy as adding or removing flags, unfortunately, and the "fix a
RC bug" excuse is not worth the damage, IMHO.
--
 Ricardo Mones
 http://people.debian.org/~mones