Re: RFS: steam-powered

2007/9/3, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au>:
"Michael Gilbert" <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:

> > The users *are* free to choose the software that's out there. The
> > Debian project is also free to refuse to choose what software it
> > distributes.
>
> the key word is "distribution."  the question is whether the part of
> the software to be added to the archive is distributable.  for
> steam-powered, all of the software in the package is fully GPL'd, and
> thus freely redistributable under the terms of the GPL.

I don't think that was in question. This sub-thread is discussing
whether we *want* software in Debian whose only purpose is to sell
non-free software.

I for one would prefer not to concentrate too much in adding that kind of software to Debian, and even less in trying to promote it if there's no real demand for it beforehand. Of course if someone is willing to do the job and there's demand for it and Debian in general sees it OK, it's OK for me. It would be nice to launch the flame to debian-devel in advance, just in case.

Anyway, even if the Team as a group decides to invest some effort into those kind of programs, I'll concentrate myself in DFSG-free stuff and, the most, some other slightly less free, but not that much.

So, my personal vote, just speaking for myself, is that I'm not willing to devote a single second of my time supporting those programs

Software must be DFSG-free to be in Debian. Not all DFSG-free software
must be distributed by Debian.

Agreed

Miry