Re: Forking hex-a-hop?

Hi Miriam,

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:32:59AM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> I'm seriously thinking that it might make sense to fork hex-a-hop, as

maybe not forking, but improving the project settings by using a version
control system and some other stuff would make sense, I agree.

> upstream doesn't seem to be very resposive lately, he doesn't seem to be

I suggest to be more patient.

Nevertheless this doesn't mean that we should not continue adapting the
code now. If we do some QA why should the author later deny it?

> very willing to release new versions, and there's a lot of changes we have
> done to the code.

Yep, it should be released also to non Debian users. I searched
yesterday in the archives of some other Linux distributors (SuSE,
Mandriva, Red Hat) and didn't find a copy of hex-a-hop there yet.

But to be honest I didn't searched there before I started working on
hex-a-hop, so Red Hat and Co could ignore our patches as well :-)

> That would allow us  to clean the code a bit, remove the DOS endings, move
> all the code to the .cpp files  and remove it from the .h headers and so on.

The most important points for me are currently:
 * Add (doxygen) documentation to the code
 * Remove all this stupid C code in the C++ program. Bit shifting,
   reading file byte per byte into fixed sized arrays instead of using
   an iostream with resizable std::string is very, very, very error prone!

> And also we would be able to provide a proper tarball to other distros that
> might want to include the game.

Right, at least if they find the new location :-)

> What  do you think? My opinion is that the game is becoming increasingly
> unmanageable by handling it just with patches, but I'd like to know Jens'
> opinion about that. We might just handle the whole code in our svn server,
> it's not that big anyway, and release our own original tarball.

I currently do not plan to do other stuff as simple bug fixings but once
you start a new project I will probably try to improve it.

PS: Can you please translate "His last mail is  09-ago-2007" for me
(ago = July, August, ...?)? When was the last contact with Upstream?

Jens