Re: Packages of FreeCol

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 08:54:39PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I just downloaded FreeCol - a free Colonization clone from
>     http://www.freecol.org/
>
> It looks really promissing and I think it might be a nice
> target for Debian since the Java situation in Debian has
> increased.  Unfortunately I'm very unexperienced with Java
> and my first shot to compile it from source failed (probably
> quite simple if you have very basic Java experience).  The
> binary in the tarball works great.

I don't know much about the status of Java in Debian, but apparently,
we'll have to wait a little more to package a truly free version of this
game. I tried to compile it with gcj+classpath, and it looks like it
depends on Java 1.5 features that aren't available in Debian's current
classpath. Besides, FreeCol relies heavily on swing/awt, which are poorly
supported by free implementations of Java.

But, as I have already said, I don't know that much about Java, so more
comments would be appreciated.