new package doom-package (vs. makenonfree package project)

Hi all,

I've been working against the clock to make some progress on
the MakeNonFree package project (not least think of a better
name!). However with mounting time pressures for getting NEW
packages into Etch,  I've opted to dust off the doom-package
proof-of-concept to a releasable state and upload that.

It hit NEW last night. Compared to the last version I turned
out, there have been a number of improvements.

The new version is a lot cleaner. It no longer Depends: on
binutils or dpkg-buildpackage and uses dpkg-deb (which is a
required package anyway) for most of the work. It is even
more lightweight than installing equivs is :)

It's a better package for the user, too: The doom2-wad
placeholder .deb no longer needs to contain a 0-byte
doom2.wad file and there's no risk of that being installed
by mistake. The end-result .deb has the correct
Installed-Size: header and also has correct md5sums (so
debsums will not complain).

fakeroot is still required as a Depends: or the resulting
.deb will have the wrong uid/gid on it's files which could
be a potential security hole.

I did take a look at Gonéri's python script but
unfortunately I didn't have my python hat on snugly enough
at the time so I couldn't really understand it :( I will
take another look, I'm still committed to the idea of a more
general installer-package, but I wanted something to solve
the existing bugs for the doom stuff to make it into Etch.

Yours,

--
Jon Dowland