Re: tarballs - why in SVN?

On 14/08/06, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@tauware.de> wrote:
"Eddy Petriÿor" <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> writes:
> Nobody said a thing against sources in svn (yet :-D ), I was
> complainaing about the orig tarballs themselves like they are in
> svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-games/packages/tarballs/

Oh I see. We must have been miscommunicating.

NP

> I don't see any reason to have the packaged tarballs in SVN and was
> suggesting to move all the tarballs under ftp or http space.

The only reason for that is convinience.

It became inconvenience for me...

In what cases would you be forced to check that out?

Since I tried to build boson 0.12, which is unreleased and the only
place to get the orig tarball from was to check it from SVN. Since SVN
is capable of cheking out only directories, I was forced to checkout
130MB of orig tarballs, instead of only getting one file of 2.2 MB.

EddyP