Re: RFS: Getting gtkradiant into debian

On 25/07/06, Frits Daalmans <fritsd@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> 2. Is there any reason, why your package is not yet in our svn
>    repository?
I didn't know I had upload permission :-)
You had since the moment I told you you are a memeber of the team ;-)

what's the URL? is it svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-games?
Yes, read the wiki page http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Development and
http://wiki.debian.org/Games/SVN to understand how we are working.

Thanks for the clarification; I'll have to work on this, and will reply
when I've got an updated copyright file.
It would be good if you did al work already in the team's SVN repository

> 7. I'm confused... You mention gtkradiant-data-q4pack in README.debian
>    and as recommends, but that package is unknown to the archive.  Do
>    you plan to get it in there, too?
>
> 8. Similar for gtkradiant-doc.  Mentioned, but not found.

Yes; I made three more packages, gtkradiant-doc (tutorial website)
gtkradiant-data-q4pack and gtkradiant-data-nexuizpack, but these
didn't have any useful copyright information (that I could find).
So, I sent a polite e-mail to Id software asking for permission to
redistribute them. But I haven't got a reply yet.

Only permission to distribute it would not make then dfsg free [1], it
is preffered you try to convince upstream to distribute it in a DFSG
free way. If they give you(or Debian) exclusive permission to
distribute it, that would be DFSG non-free because it breaks DFSG 8
(and I am not sure about 1 and 7). So that would mean the thing can't
go in main, nor contrib.

Do you think I should have e-mailed some kind of request for help
to debian-legal, on how to proceed with this??

> 9. If you can edit Nexuiz maps with it, why don't you mention it in the
>    package description?  Nexuiz *is* part of Debian, Quake 4 and Doom 3
>    are not.  You might even want to consider to set an "Enhances:
>    nexuiz".
I only found out about Nexuiz afterwards :-)
If I understand correctly, it also can be used to edit Quake 1 and 2,
DarkPlaces, Doom 3, Heretic 2, and I found several gigabytes  of data
for games I don't remember the names of.
Just suggest nexuiz and talk about it. Tak about that in the README
and/or doc or/and description.

You've got me there :-) I haven't ever worked with scons before.
The SConstruct script contains the string
g_cpu = 'x86'
so which should I do?
- change the debian control file for now so that it only attempts
to build for i386 architecture, and hope for eager scons-using
debianistas with various hardware,
NO, NOT IN ANY CASE! Only in extreeme cases or special cases, builds
for some aches should be disabled.

The thing should be compiled for all. Fix it or/and ask for help about that.

OR
- try to see how to export the g_cpu variable so debian/rules
picks it up..
right. or maybe remove it, if possbile

> 11. Bonus points for adding some usefull comments to your debian/rules ;)
At least I did something right :-)

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DFSG
EddyP