Re: doom source GPL'd

At 13:17 1999.10.03 -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 12:41:51PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
>> It looks like the doom source is now under the GPL.
>> (http://www.doomworld.com/). This clears up the previous licencing problems
>> that were keeping it out of debian. It will still be fit only for contrib
>> for now, since it needs non-free WAD files.
>>
>> Who's going to mackage it?
>
>Joe Drew has lxdoom and I have agreed to sponsor his packages as soon as
>I'm caught up with school again.  I (will) have dosdoom as soon as Andrew
>Apted gets the dosdoom team off their tails to release the new version!
>=p  Nobody has offered yet to take xdoom, but I suppose we don't NEED
>linuxdoom really except for comparison's sake, so it's not exactly a big
>deal.

Careful with that term "xdoom". There is a Doom hack really called
"XDoom" and that has nothing to do with linuxxdoom. It was AFAIK the
first working X port of Doom after linuxxdoom and it is certainly
worth packaging, even if it doesn't support high-res.

>Because the IWAD is non-free, before DOOM can go into main I have to get a
>WAD editor packaged.  I'm looking at yadex now, which is based on DEU.

Please by all means use the latest semi-public beta (no link from the
home page) http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/yadex/yadex-1.1.0.tar.gz.
Yadex 1.0.1 is severely obsolete. Now that I'm done with DeuTex, I hope
to resume work on Yadex and release v1.1.1 this month. Let me know how
it goes for you.

I would also love to see the following utilities packaged :

- xwadtools (ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/source/xwadtools-*.tar.gz)
  A large collection of Doom hacking utilities, including an editor,
  tkwadcad. Definitely a must.

- DeuTex (http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/deutex/)

I'm unsure whether Doom hacking utils can go in the main section at
all because I seem to remember that id set some conditions on them.
They shouldn't work with the shareware iwad, the resulting wads
shouldn't be sold for profit, stuff like that. Would the GPLization
of Doom change that ?

André Majorel <amajorel@teaser.fr>
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/