Re: doom source GPL'd

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 12:41:51PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> It looks like the doom source is now under the GPL.
> (http://www.doomworld.com/). This clears up the previous licencing problems
> that were keeping it out of debian. It will still be fit only for contrib
> for now, since it needs non-free WAD files.
>
> Who's going to mackage it?

Joe Drew has lxdoom and I have agreed to sponsor his packages as soon as
I'm caught up with school again.  I (will) have dosdoom as soon as Andrew
Apted gets the dosdoom team off their tails to release the new version!
=p  Nobody has offered yet to take xdoom, but I suppose we don't NEED
linuxdoom really except for comparison's sake, so it's not exactly a big
deal.

Because the IWAD is non-free, before DOOM can go into main I have to get a
WAD editor packaged.  I'm looking at yadex now, which is based on DEU.
There was some discussion of an effort to build a completely free WAD for
people who just want to play it and not play with it.  I think Joe Drew or
I will probably package the shareware WAD too for people wanting it, but
that'd have to go into non-free.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3