Misc Developer News (#47)

The news are collected on https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
Please contribute short news about your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + FTBFS, a new UDD cgi script
 + Debian CI pipeline
 + New salsa tool in devscripts
 + lintian-brush
 + New pkg-js-tools packages

FTBFS, a new UDD cgi script
---------------------------

 A long time ago, I created a small page to track the current packages
 that FTBFS on ppc64el. It also showed if a package only FTBFS on ppc64el,
 or if it FTBFS on other arches as well.

 Recently, this page has become available as a UDD cgi script[1]. It is
 quite faster and also gives results for any supported architecture
 (not only ppc64el).

 Thanks to Mattia Rizzolo for the review and to Nyov for the
 python3-conversion.

  -- Erwan Prioul <erwan@linux.ibm.com>

 [1] https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi

Debian CI pipeline
------------------

 On behalf the salsa-ci-team we would like to spread the word about the
 Continuous Integration pipeline we have created for Debian contributors.

 The main idea is to have faster feedback when you are working in
 a package if it has the quality needed to be part of the Debian
 archive. The tests we got working so far, are the following:

  * Building the package from the source (only gbp is supported for now)
  * Lintian check
  * Reproducible build (Using reprotest)
  * piuparts
  * Autopkgtest

 Please follow the README[2] to enable CI in your packages.

  -- Agustin Henze <tin@debian.org>

 [2] https://salsa.debian.org/salsa-ci-team/pipeline/blob/master/README.md

New salsa tool in devscripts
----------------------------

 devscripts 2.19.1 includes a new tool named "salsa". This tool can be
 used by contributors and team maintainers to manage their repositories
 and user rights. '''salsa(1)''' manpage shows the full features.
 Some examples that speak for themselves:

  * contributors:

 # Contribute in own namespace
 $ salsa fork js-team/node-mongodb
 # ... modification in a new branch in a single commit
 $ salsa mr

 # Create Salsa project + configure project following team policy
 # + push local repo
 $ salsa --conf-file +/js/salsa-policy.conf push_repo .

  * team maintainers:

 $ salsa update_safe --all --group js-team --kgb --irc-channel debian-js --tagpending --desc

 # Or simply
 $ salsa --conf-file +/js/salsa.conf update_safe --all

 Teams that want to use it are encouraged to provide a salsa.conf.
 Of course contributions and bug reports/fixes are welcome !

  -- Xavier Guimard <yadd@debian.org>

lintian-brush
-------------

 lintian-brush[3] is a new tool that can automatically fix more than 30
 common lintian issues in packages maintained in a Git repository.

 To use it, install the package and simply run:

 $ lintian-brush

 in the top-level of your (version-controlled) Debian package.

 For more details, see its README file[4] and the blog post announcing
 it[5].

  -- Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@debian.org>

 [3] https://packages.debian.org/lintian-brush
 [4] https://salsa.debian.org/jelmer/lintian-brush/blob/master/README.md
 [5] https://www.jelmer.uk/lintian-brush-intro.html

New pkg-js-tools packages
-------------------------

 Two new packages are provided to help maintaining nodejs packages:
  * pkg-js-tools: provides a new "`dh --with nodejs`" that launches
    automatically a "`node -e 'require(".")'`" test and launches
    customized test "`debian/tests/pkg-js/test`" if exists.
  * pkg-js-autopkgtest: added in autodep8, it launch automatically the
    same 2 tests on installed files. Simply add "`Testsuite:
    autopkgtest-pkg-nodejs`" in `debian/control`.

 See https://salsa.debian.org/js-team/pkg-js-tools#readme for more.

  -- Xavier Guimard <yadd@debian.org>

--
bye,