Bits from the DPL (July 2018)

Dear developers,

Greetings from a hot and humid DebConf in Hsinshu, Taiwan…!  Here's a
brief and hurried overview of what else I've been getting up to as your
Project Leader during July 2018:

 * I gave the annual "Bits from the DPL" [0] update at DebConf18 [1]. The
   remaining conference schedule is available [2] with links to live
   streams but a number of videos have already been uploaded to the video
   archive [3].

 * Last month I accepted an invitation for Debian to join the KDE
   Advisory Board [4]. This month I followed-up with the Qt/KDE team
   soliciting opinions/ideas on how we can further improve our
   relationship with this long-term partner of ours, as well as helping
   draft a press release announcing the news [5].

 * Attended a GNOME Advisory Board [6] meeting and shared various bits of
   feedback on their activities and decisions over the past year from
   Debian's perspective.

 * Connected a number of Developers with our Trusted Organisations [7] to
   locate missing reimbursements and handled some reimbursements for
   MiniDebConf Curitiba [8].

 * Approved a re-imbursement for the Publicity Team [9] to upgrade their
   dlvr.it [10] account, approved spending for a solid-state (SSD) hard
   disk for a DD as well as approved funding for a number of expenses for
   the Debian Ports [11] initiative. I also approved a large pre-approval
   request to replace two DSA-maintained [12] servers in Germany.

 * A large (and growing!) number of informal meetings at DebConf from
   various companies and enterprises who currently use Debian, as well as
   those considering adopting it in a meaningful way and addressing any
   remaining concerns.

 * Re-approved the catering and other miscellaneous budget requests
   around DebConf18 [13] as well as offering initial advice on the
   budgeting process for DebConf19 (!). [14].

 [ 0] https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/75-bits-from-the-dpl/
 [ 1] https://debconf18.debconf.org/
 [ 2] https://debconf18.debconf.org/schedule/
 [ 3] https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2018/DebConf18/
 [ 4] https://ev.kde.org/advisoryboard.php
 [ 5] https://dot.kde.org/2018/07/12/debian-joins-kdes-advisory-board
 [ 6] https://wiki.gnome.org/AdvisoryBoard
 [ 7] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer/Organizations
 [ 8] https://minidebconf.curitiba.br/en
 [ 9] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity
 [10] http://dlvr.it/
 [11] https://www.ports.debian.org/
 [12] https://dsa.debian.org/
 [13] https://debconf18.debconf.org
 [14] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf19

Other
=====

In addition to the above, I spent time on:

 * Offering advice on how to manage te closure of a Debian-related
   project with regards to leftover funds being donated to the
   Debian Project.

 * A discussion with Tobias Frost around the possible creation of a new
   package "salvaging" process. This has now been posted to the debian-
   devel mailing list [15].

 * Responding to a query sent to the leader@ alias regarding potential
   changes the NEW queue [16] handling.

 * Offering some advice and connections on how to determine the usage of
   the GNU GCC toolchain within the Debian system for an advocacy-
   related project.

 * Further drafting my reply to an interview request from the "LibreSur"
   Argentinian free software community.

 * Redirecting support queries/questions sent to the leader@ alias as
   well as responding to feedback from my previous «Bits from the DPL».

 * Enqueuing various ideas for "micronews" [17] for approval by the
   Publicity Team [18].

 [15] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/07/msg00453.html
 [16] https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
 [17] https://micronews.debian.org/
 [18] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity

And finally…
============

In case you missed it:

 * vmdebootstrap will not be part of the "buster" release. [19]

 * Raphael Hertzog announced a number of improvements to the Debian
   Package Tracker Service. [20]

 * Debian is willing to reimburse 100 USD (or equivalent) for expenses to
   attend Bug Squashing Parties (BSP) [21]. If there are no BSPs near to
   you, perhaps we can tempt you to organise one... [22]

 * We hit over 100,000 installs in Windows Subsystem for Linux. [23]

 [19] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/07/msg00002.html
 [20] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/07/msg00001.html
 [21] https://wiki.debian.org/BSP
 [22] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning
 [23] https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/

Phew…  As usual, I would like to repeat my for any feedback. Naturally,
any questions, queries or concerns about the Project that would be
inappropriate and/or difficult to bring up in public are always welcome
too — please send them to <leader@debian.org>. :)

Best wishes,

- --
      ,''`.