Bits from the DPL (July 2018)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Greetings from a hot and humid DebConf in Hsinshu, Taiwan…! Here's a
brief and hurried overview of what else I've been getting up to as your
Project Leader during July 2018:
* I gave the annual "Bits from the DPL"  update at DebConf18 . The
remaining conference schedule is available  with links to live
streams but a number of videos have already been uploaded to the video
* Last month I accepted an invitation for Debian to join the KDE
Advisory Board . This month I followed-up with the Qt/KDE team
soliciting opinions/ideas on how we can further improve our
relationship with this long-term partner of ours, as well as helping
draft a press release announcing the news .
* Attended a GNOME Advisory Board  meeting and shared various bits of
feedback on their activities and decisions over the past year from
* Connected a number of Developers with our Trusted Organisations  to
locate missing reimbursements and handled some reimbursements for
MiniDebConf Curitiba .
* Approved a re-imbursement for the Publicity Team  to upgrade their
dlvr.it  account, approved spending for a solid-state (SSD) hard
disk for a DD as well as approved funding for a number of expenses for
the Debian Ports  initiative. I also approved a large pre-approval
request to replace two DSA-maintained  servers in Germany.
* A large (and growing!) number of informal meetings at DebConf from
various companies and enterprises who currently use Debian, as well as
those considering adopting it in a meaningful way and addressing any
* Re-approved the catering and other miscellaneous budget requests
around DebConf18  as well as offering initial advice on the
budgeting process for DebConf19 (!). .
[ 0] https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/75-bits-from-the-dpl/
[ 1] https://debconf18.debconf.org/
[ 2] https://debconf18.debconf.org/schedule/
[ 3] https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2018/DebConf18/
[ 4] https://ev.kde.org/advisoryboard.php
[ 5] https://dot.kde.org/2018/07/12/debian-joins-kdes-advisory-board
[ 6] https://wiki.gnome.org/AdvisoryBoard
[ 7] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer/Organizations
[ 8] https://minidebconf.curitiba.br/en
[ 9] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity
In addition to the above, I spent time on:
* Offering advice on how to manage te closure of a Debian-related
project with regards to leftover funds being donated to the
* A discussion with Tobias Frost around the possible creation of a new
package "salvaging" process. This has now been posted to the debian-
devel mailing list .
* Responding to a query sent to the leader@ alias regarding potential
changes the NEW queue  handling.
* Offering some advice and connections on how to determine the usage of
the GNU GCC toolchain within the Debian system for an advocacy-
* Further drafting my reply to an interview request from the "LibreSur"
Argentinian free software community.
* Redirecting support queries/questions sent to the leader@ alias as
well as responding to feedback from my previous «Bits from the DPL».
* Enqueuing various ideas for "micronews"  for approval by the
Publicity Team .
In case you missed it:
* vmdebootstrap will not be part of the "buster" release. 
* Raphael Hertzog announced a number of improvements to the Debian
Package Tracker Service. 
* Debian is willing to reimburse 100 USD (or equivalent) for expenses to
attend Bug Squashing Parties (BSP) . If there are no BSPs near to
you, perhaps we can tempt you to organise one... 
* We hit over 100,000 installs in Windows Subsystem for Linux. 
Phew… As usual, I would like to repeat my for any feedback. Naturally,
any questions, queries or concerns about the Project that would be
inappropriate and/or difficult to bring up in public are always welcome
too — please send them to <email@example.com>. :)
: :' : Chris Lamb
`. `'` firstname.lastname@example.org / chris-lamb.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----