Misc Developer News (#45)

The news are collected on https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
Please contribute short news about your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + debhelper compat 11
 + KGB now supports GitLab webhooks (for salsa)
 + Change of the mentors.d.n FTP upload queue
 + Review your debtags today!
 + Purism hardware discounts

debhelper compat 11
-------------------

 As of December 2017, debhelper compat level 11 is now stable and
 available in buster (plus stretch-backports).

 This compat level (among other):

  * Supports "main doc package" (Policy 12.3) out of the box in many cases
  * Adds --sourcedir to many dh_install* making it easier to support the
    "nodoc" profile.
  * Makes dh_strip/dh_shlibdeps find *all* ELF binaries (fixing the 18
    year old bug #35733[1])
  * Rewrites the dh_systemd_* tooling into dh_installsystemd to avoid many
    of the paper cuts in the interactions between dh_systemd_enable,
    dh_installinit and dh_systemd_start.

 Please see the debhelper(7) manual page[2] for the full list of changes.

  -- Niels Thykier

 [1] https://bugs.debian.org/35733
 [2] https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/debhelper/debhelper.7.en.html

KGB now supports GitLab webhooks (for salsa)

 kgb-bot, the VCS to IRC relay, supports GitLab webhooks since version
 1.36. The three instances known for providing services to 68 Alioth-hosted
 projects have been updated to this version.

 This means that all projects hosted on salsa.debian.org can benefit from
 the service, whether they've used KGB in the past or not. Usage[3] details
 are available.

 At the current stage we consider this a "public beta" and invite
 "friendly customers" to test the new feature.

 Non-alioth projects aren't required to change anything and will continue
 to work as before.

 For any questions, please contact {dmn,gregoa,tincho}@debian.org or
 the #kgb-devel IRC channel on OFTC.

  -- Damyan Ivanov

 [3] https://salsa.debian.org/kgb-team/kg

Change of the mentors.d.n FTP upload queue

 mentors.d.n has been running a patched vsftp to allow anonymous uploads
 to the root of the upload queue. We want to get rid of that local
 patch, so we are changing the upload queue to something that is
 non-root, and we want for the pseudo-standard path also used for
 ftp-master.

 Therefore, the FTP upload queue changed[4] from `/` to `/pub/UploadQueue/`.
 Please update your local dupload, dput or dput-ng configuration if you
 have customised it from the defaults.

  -- Mattia Rizzolo

 [4] https://lists.debian.org/20180224093144.GZ25855@mapreri.org

Review your debtags today!
--------------------------

 Since the removal of anonymous debtags editing and the consequent
 addition of the special::unreviewed tag to all packages, the debtags
 service has many packages that have tags that need to be reviewed for
 accuracy. Please visit the report for your packages via the link on
 DPT/PTS and DDPO pages. To modify the debtags for a package, you can
 login with the Debian SSO and use either the JavaScript based web
 editor[5] or manually construct a patch[6] and send it to the patch
 API[7]. There is also an intro to getting started[8] with helping improve
 the debtags data.

  -- Paul Wise

 [5] https://debtags.debian.org/edit/
 [6] https://debtags.debian.org/api/
 [7] https://debtags.debian.org/api/patch
 [8] https://debtags.debian.org/getting-started/

Purism hardware discounts
-------------------------

 Purism[9] now[10] offers[11] discounts on their hardware for all active
 Debian Developers.

  -- Zlatan Todoric

 [9] https://puri.sm
 [10] https://puri.sm/posts/purisms-debian-developer-discount-program-announcement/