Bits from the DPL (June 2017)

Dear fellow developers,

Here's what I've been getting up to as your DPL in June:

«stretch» release
=================

In case you somehow missed it (!), we released "stretch" on June 17th! [0]

Whilst I haven't upgraded all of my systems yet, I'm really enjoying
the new stable release and I'm sure you are too. I also hope most of
you managed to attend a release party, at least in spirit. I attended
one at Tsinghua University [1] in Beijing - thanks to the local "TUNA"
[2] user group for welcoming me so warmly.

As part of the release I posted to Hacker News with the question "What
do you want to see in Debian 10?" [3], a shameless copy of a recent
Ubuntu request which appeared to result in fruitful and helpful

 [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2017/msg00003.html
 [1] http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/newthuen/
 [2] https://tuna.moe/
 [3] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14579080

Hong Kong Open Source Conference 2017
=====================================

On 9th & 10th June I represented Debian at HKOSCon 2017 [4] in Hong
Kong, speaking on the topic of Reproducible Builds[5]. I had many
interesting discussions about Debian, especially how free software
communities in China et.  al., can regrettably have somewhat of a silo
mentality, including the possible reasons and how it could potentially
be avoided.

 [4] hkoscon.org/2017/
 [5] https://reproducible-builds.org/

OCF.tw "Trusted Organisation" process
=====================================

Our constitution (sections 5.1.11 and 9) describes a process to manage
the list of "Trusted Organizations", entities that hold/manage (mostly
financial) assets for Debian.

As part of this I formally concluded the application process for
OCF.tw to handle DebConf 18 financial concerns, etc. [6]

 [6]  https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2017/06/msg00000.html

LinuxCon China 2017
===================

On 16th and 17th June I represented Debian at LinuxCon China 2017[7]
where I had further interesting discussions about Debian, especially
around some some specific embedded hardware support, its use in
Internet of Things (IoT) devices as well as Debian's use in the cloud
and container environments in general.

 [7] https://www.lfasiallc.com/linuxcon-containercon-cloudopen-china

Policy team delegation
======================

The Debian Policy team [8] defines Debian's technical framework,
including the structure and contents of the Debian archive, design
issues of the operating system as well as technical requirements that
all packages must satisfy.

I've recently been working to ensure this important team is active and
well-staffed. As part of this, I was very happy to redelegate the team
[9], notably to add Sean Whitton.

There will be a Policy Team spring throughout DebCamp, so do look out
for that if you are interested in participating in this significant
part of what makes Debian what it is.

 [8]  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Policy
 [9]  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/06/msg00005.html

Pre-installed Debian hardware
=============================

I've also been talking to a growing number of companies with respect
getting Debian offered as a first class, pre-installed, branded and
fully-supported distribution on various bits of consumer hardware such
as laptops and tablets.

Each discussion is in a different state at the moment but I'm excited
about the progress being made and am looking forward to be able to
announce when this this will have concrete results.

Most of the talks are involving some form of discount for Debian
Developers too, adding to our growing list of member benefits [10]. If
there are any other firms who would like to be part of such
discussions, please do get in touch.

 [10] https://wiki.debian.org/MemberBenefits

Technical committee
===================

The Technical Committee is established by the Debian Constitution,
section 6.  It is the body which makes the final decision on technical
disputes in the Debian project [11].

As defined by section 6.2.2, the Technical Committee recommended [12]
the appointment of a new member to the Technical Committee so this
month I was very happy to follow their recommendation and appoint Niko
Tyni to the Committee [13].

 [11] https://www.debian.org/devel/tech-ctte
 [12] https://bugs.debian.org/836127#90
 [13] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/06/msg00007.html

DebConf17
=========

As part of the preparations for DebConf17, I:

 * Approved a large equipment purchase for the DebConf Video Team.

 * Signed-off on temporary and limited access to the SPI PayPal account.

 * Approved an enlargement of the DebConf Bursary funding.

Expenses
========

I also pre-approved a large number of travel expenses, including:

 * Alioth replacement sprint [14].

 * Open Source Bridge.

 * Open Labs.

 * OpenAg meeting.

 * Digital-Born Media Carnival.

 * Various previous BSPs.

 * Approving a new disk for hartmann.debian.org.

 * A reimbursement request for Debian Ports hardware repairs.

 [14] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/06/msg00002.html

Reimbursement for BSPs
======================

Don't forget that Debian is willing to reimburse up to USD 100 or
equivalent in your local currency for travel/accommodation expenses
[15]. If there are no BSPs local to you [16], please help organise
one!

Reimbursement requests must meet the following conditions:

 * The requester must already be a Debian contributor (and preferably
   have demonstrated an ability to contribute to this kind of work).

 * The requester should agree to communicate about their activities
   during the BSP (for example in a blog post or similar). The goal
   being to increase the visibility of such work.

 [15] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement
 [16] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning

Misc
====

In addition to the above, I spent time on:

 * Redirecting a lot (!) of post-release private support queries from
   leader@ to a more suitable venue.

 * Responding to press/interview enquiries from various sources.

 * Congratulating new DDs to our family and posting them some goodies.

 * Responding to some BTS issues that had been elevated to leader@ due
   to conflicts.

 * Further work on a potential DebConf CoC update.

 * Looked at the status of German DebConf e.V.

 * Arranged to attend the GNOME Advisory Board meeting in Manchester
 * during July. This is the day before GUADEC, so if you will be
   attending the conference and would like to meet up, please get in
   touch.

 * Finally, a huge amount of private correspondence regarding internal
   team conflicts, the situation around Dmitry Bogatov, and two
   separate conversations around DDs poor conduct on our mailing
   lists.

Announcements
=============

In case you have missed them, please check out:

 * First set of DebConf17 talks announced [17].

 * DebConf17 keysigning call for keys [18].

 [17] https://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20170630.050557.e4afdbd5.en.html
 [18] https://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20170623.134403.d8429e35.en.html

See you next month!

Best wishes