Bits from the DPL (April 2017)

Hi,

Whilst it has only been two weeks since the DPL election, I thought
I would establish a monthly cadence and routine for my "Bits from…"
emails.

Thanks
======

First, I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who voted for me, as well
as everyone who took part in the election in general especially those
contributing on the debian-vote mailing list. Without being explicit
about it, you really helped raise the level of debate.

In case you missed it, the election was covered on LWN[0], Phoronix[1]
and DistroWatch[2].

I'd also like to deeply thank Mehdi for all his contributions, not only
in his work and effort as the previous DPL but also for being a worthy
rival and for the care and attention he has taken in ensuring a smooth
handover.

  [0] https://lwn.net/Articles/720165/
  [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-Project-Leader-2017
  [2] https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20170417#news

Overview
========

In the previous two weeks I have mostly absorbing and organising
existing tasks rather than persuing the initiatives outlined in my
platform.

However, I have managed to get quite a bit done, including:

 * Numerous mails to ensure that the OCF.tw "Trusted Organisation"
   application process for DebConf18 is progressing

 * Approving and discussing potential (eg. t-shirts) and actual expenses
   (eg. Debian Med sprint, etc.).

 * Discussion regarding Debian helping to fund the OSU Open Source Lab[3]
   as well as partly co-ordinating an upcoming publicity drive.

 * Looking over a potential DebConf CoC update.

 * Responding to a large number of emails sent directly to
   leader@debian.org regarding the DPL election.

 * Private correspondence regarding an internal conflict, the status of
   Debian Policy, a potential UK «stretch» release party, and a user
   askingfor how they can help out via musical contributions.

 * Organising a potential appearance on the Ubuntu Podcast[4].

  [3] http://osuosl.org/
  [4] http://ubuntupodcast.org/

ITWire interview
================

Shortly after the election, I was also interviewed on iTWire[5].

  [5] http://www.itwire.com/open-source/77727-new-debian-leader-wants-more-variety-in-developer-ranks.html

foss-north.se 2017
==================

On April 26th, I represented Debian in Gothenburg, Sweden at
foss-north.se[6]. Whilst I was attending and presenting under the
auspices of the Reproducible Builds project, most of my discussions
with the other speakers and delegates were regarding Debian in
general.

  [6] http://foss-north.se/

Reimbursement for BSPs
======================

The release of «stretch» is fast approaching and I hope — and expect! —
some Bug Squashing Parties (BSPs) to take place[7].

Don't forget that Debian is willing to reimburse up to USD 100 or
equivalent in your local currency for travel/accommodation expenses[8].
If there are no events local to you, please help organise one.

Reimbursement requests must meet the following conditions:

 * The requester must already be a Debian contributor (and preferably
    have demonstrated an ability to contribute to this kind of work).

 * The requester should agree to communicate about their activities
   during the BSP (for example in a blog post or similar). The goal being
   to increase the visibility of such work.

  [7] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning
  [8] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement

Stretch release parties
=======================

Once «stretch» is released, we should celebrate our success and effort!
Please check the release party page[9] on the Debian Wiki for an event
near you.

Again, if there are none currently arranged for your area, please jump
in and arrange one as they can be a great way to get to know other
Debian users in your area. Indeed, my first IRL Debian meetup was
actually an «etch» release party…

  [9] https://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyStretch

Announcements
=============

In case you have missed them, please read:

 * Bits from the Release Team [10]
 * DebConf17 registration is now open [11]
 * Bits from the Debian CD Team [12]

  [10] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/04/msg00013.html
  [11] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/04/msg00006.html
  [12] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/04/msg00014.html