Bits from the DPL (December 2017)

Dear fellow developers,

I hope you have all had a merry Christmas and are currently enjoying seeing in
the New Year.

Before I head out myself for this evening's festivities, here's a brief update
on what I've been getting up to as your DPL during December 2017:

Finances
========

I pre-approved, evaluated and/or answered queries on a number of travel,
conference and general financial enquiries requests this month, including:

 * Further followups to FOSScamp [0] funding.

 * Various DSA [1] expenses, such as a new hard drive and machine replacements
   in general.

 * Outreachy internship sponsorships. [2]

 * MiniDebConf 2017 in Toulouse, France expense handling

 * Reproducible builds summit [3] expense administration.

 * A Debian Ports / Rebootstrap reimbursement request.

 * FOSDEM 2018 [4] requests.

 * Treasurer and auditor team [5] sprint funding approval.

 * Video Team Sprint [6] reimbursement admin.

In addition, I:

 * Responded to a request to post Debian merchandise to Mexico.

 * Fielded initial enquiries or feelers regarding a potential MiniConf
   in India.

 * Participated in a discussion about being lent hardware, re. taxes/import
   duties etc.

 * Responded to donation from Tuxis Internet Engineering [7].

 [0] https://fosscamp.cc/
 [1] https://dsa.debian.org/
 [2] https://www.outreachy.org/
 [3] https://reproducible-builds.org/events/berlin2017/
 [4] https://fosdem.org/2018/
 [5] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer
 [6] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/gb/2017/MiniDebConfCambridge/Videoteam
 [7] https://www.tuxis.nl/

Events
======

Winter in Europe can be grey and boring, and FOSDEM is too short to satisfy our
need to meet Debian people, so isn't this a good time to spend near the Italian
lakes where the weather is dry and relatively warm? If you are tempted, please
see the SunCamp 2018 wiki page [8].

In addition, registration and a call for speakers for a MiniDebConf in Curitiba
[9] has been announced [10]. The 2018 edition will happen at the main Campus of
The Federal Technological University of Technology of Paraná (UTFPR Curitiba),
between April 11th and 14th 2018.

Two people claimed the small token of appreciation if they managed to attend
both MiniDebConfs that took place during November (in Toulouse [11] and
Cambridge [12] respectfully) which I sent out during the month.

On the topic of events, I also sent a number of followups after Debian was
represented at the SFLC 2017 Annual Conference [13] at Columbia Law School.

Lastly, I sent a number of follow-ups ensuring people posted updates to Planet
Debian [14] if they attended a conference using Debian funds.

 [8] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/it/2018/SnowCamp
 [9] https://minidebconf.curitiba.br/en/
 [10] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/12/msg00002.html
 [11] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/fr/2017/Toulouse
 [12] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/gb/2017/MiniDebConfCambridge
 [13] https://www.softwarefreedom.org/events/2017/conference/
 [14] https://planet.debian.org/

BSP Reimbursements
==================

The Debian Project is willing and able to reimburse up to USD 100 (or
equivalent in your currency) for accommodation/travel expenses to attend Bug
Squashing Parties (BSP) [15]. If there are no BSPs near to you (see [16]),
please do help organise one!

Reimbursement requests must meet the following conditions:

 * The requester should agree to communicate about their activities
   during the BSP (in blog post or similar). The goal here being to
   increase the visibility of such work.

 * The requester must be a Debian contributor or have demonstrated an
   ability to contribute to that kind of work.

 [15] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement
 [16] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning

Other
=====

In addition to the above, I spent time on:

 * Connecting Software Package Data Exchange (SPDX) [17] with the Manifest.fm
   package management podcast [18].

 * Engaging in further issues / conversations in the area of anti-harrassment.

 * Moderating and contributing to the /r/debian subreddit [19].

 * Responding to queries regarding a potential new Technical Committee member.

 * Redirecting more private support queries sent to the `leader@` alias to more
   suitable venues. I also fielded even more requests to remove emails from our
   bug tracking system.

 * Enquiring why a particular developer does not providing attribution
   for patches.

 * Responding to leader feedback as requested in my previous emails. Thanks to
   all who responded to this!

 * Yet more administrative work on Debian becoming a supported operating system
   on the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" [20] platform.

 * Wrote an initial draft for a "Words from the DPL" section for future
   inclusion in the DebConf17 [21] final report.

 [17] https://spdx.org/
 [18] https://manifest.fm/
 [10] https://reddit.com/r/debian
 [20] https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/
 [21] https://debconf17.debconf.org/

Lastly, in case you missed it, salsa.debian.org [22] (the git.debian.org
replacement) went into beta [23]!

 [22] https://salsa.debian.org/
 [23] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/12/msg00003.html

See you all next… year!  :)