Bits from the DPL (September 2017)

Dear fellow developers,

Greetings again from London, UK…  Here is what I've been getting up
to as your DPL during September 2017:

Outreachy Round 15
==================

Outreachy [0] provides short internships for people from groups
traditionally under represented in tech. Interns work remotely with
mentors not "just" programming but also improving user experiences,
documentation and providing graphic design. Interns are paid a stipend
for their contributions.

I am extremely pleased to announce that Debian has decided to double its
investment in Outreachy by doubling the number of interns in Round 15
from 1 → 2. [1]

Thank you to everyone involved in this round so far, especially Karen
Sandler and Molly de Blanc for their patience in fielding all my
questions and suggestions.

 [0] https://www.outreachy.org/
 [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Outreachy/Round15

FSFE "Public Money? Public Code" campaign

The Free Software Foundation Europe [2] recently announced their "Public
Money? Public Code" campaign to lobby for legislation requiring that
software developed for the public sector be made publicly available
under a Free and Open Source Software licence. [3]

As part of this, Debian was approached by the Matthias Kirschner of the
FSFE to support and to re-broadcast the message. I was very happy to
provide the following quote:

  One of the many strengths of free software is that everyone benefits
  from improvements and changes; Debian is the operating system of
  choice for many public administrations around the world, so when one
  government contributes to Debian, other government organisations will
  gain from those changes too.

Thanks to Guido Günther for his assistance with this.

 [2] https://fsfe.org/
 [3] https://publiccode.eu/

Expenses
========

I pre-approved and/or evaluated a large number of travel and conference
requests this month including:

 * Debian Cloud Sprint [4]
 * MiniDebConf Prishtina [5]
 * Grace Hopper Conference [6]
 * PyConf Hyderabad [7]
 * Tirana Cryptoparty [8]
 * Video Team sprint at MiniDebConf, Cambridge [9]
 * FSCONS 2017 [10]
 * FOSScamp [11]

  [4] https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/DebianCloudOct2017
  [5] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/ks/2017/MiniDebConfPrishtina
  [6] https://ghc.anitaborg.org/
  [7] http://pyconf.hydpy.org/
  [8] https://www.cryptoparty.in/tirana
  [9] https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/DebConfVideoteamSprint20Nov2017
 [10] https://fscons.org/2017
 [11] https://fosscamp.cc/

I also approved the following miscellaneous expenses:

 * Funding an Einstein@Home [12] developer to MiniDebConf
   Cambridge. [13]

 * More RAM for the Debian Ports [14] "atlantis" and
   "pathfinder" powerpcspe buildds.

 * New HDD for the antheil armhf buildd. [15]

 [12] https://einsteinathome.org/
 [13] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/gb/2017/MiniDebConfCambridge
 [14] https://www.ports.debian.org/
 [15] https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?host=antheil

Events
======

It was also a pleasure to read of the announcement of two MiniDebConfs
during November. They are scheduled to take place in Cambridge, UK
(November 23-26) [16] and Tolouse, France (November 18-19) [17].

Anyone who attends both events in full can expect a small token of
appreciation from myself...

I also spent a few moments ensuring that folks who had had travel
sponsored ensured that reports or similar updates appeared within a
reasonable timeframe on Planet Debian [18].

Lastly, I publicised two small and informal meetups in the London
area [19] [20].

 [16] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/09/msg00003.html
 [17] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/09/msg00005.html
 [18] https://planet.debian.org/
 [19] http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/pipermail/debian-uk/2017-September/000440.html
 [20] http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/pipermail/debian-uk/2017-September/000443.html

Reimbursement for BSPs
======================

Don't forget that Debian is willing to reimburse up to USD 100 (or
equivalent in your local currency) for travel and accommodation
expenses [21]. If there are no BSPs local to you [22], please help
organise one.

Reimbursement requests should meet the following conditions:

 * The requester must already be a Debian contributor (and preferably
   have demonstrated an ability to contribute to this kind of work).

 * The requester should agree to communicate about their activities
   during the BSP (in blog post or similar). The goal being to increase
   the visibility of such work.

 [21] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement
 [22] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning

Misc
====

In addition to the above, I spent time on:

 * Addressing a possible case of abuse on IRC and dealing with a
   report of bad behaviour around mentoring.

 * Initial discussions regardings Rackspace's [23] hardware
   contributions to Debian.

 * Following up on DebConf17 [24] reimbursements. If you have still
   not received your reimbursement please be patient just a little
   longer; they are being processed quite literally as I write this.

 * Providing support and suggestions to a potential DD around our
   keysigning requirements and advice on how to procure signatures in
   their locale.

 * Outlining to a (shy!) user how they can help Debian out in the
   "audio" space.

 * Participating in the ongoing discussion regarding selling Debian
   media on Amazon. [25]

 * Redirecting yet more private support queries sent to the leader
   alias. I also fielded further requests to remove emails from our BTS
   (!) and a specific, longer, query regarding accessibility in Debian.

 * Moderating the /r/debian subreddit [26].

 * Sending small gifts to our new "official" Developers.

 [23] https://www.rackspace.com/
 [24] https://debconf17.debconf.org/
 [25] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2017/08/msg00149.html
 [26] https://reddit.com/r/debian

Announcements
=============

In case you have missed them, please check out:

 * We now have a Policy 4.1.1 [27].

 * DebConf17 videos are now online. Thanks, Video Team! [28]

 * Cyril Brulebois announced the first "alpha" of buster's Debian
   Installer. [29]

 [27] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/09/msg00006.html
 [28] https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2017/debconf17/
 [29] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/09/msg00001.html

See you all next month…

Best wishes,

- --
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb, Debian Project Leader 2017
     `. `'`      lamby@debian.org / chris-lamb.co.uk
       `-